22 December 1887 -- 26 April 1920
About the author
Who says maths is boring ?
A trip to Kumbakonam, in Tamilnadu, India, is usually seen as an
opportunity to visit the innumerable number of Temples and shrines in the region.
For me, it was a very different experience.
Kumbakonam is closely related to a genius called
Srinivasa Ramanujan, the outstanding Indian mathematician, who made extraordinary contributions
to mathematical analysis, number theory, infinite series, and continued fractions.
My trip to Kumbakonam, in June 2016, gave me the chance to visit two sacred
and inspiring places which reminded me
of Srinivasa Ramanujan :
- The house where Srinivasa Ramanujan lived.
- The schoolwhere Srinivasa Ramanujan studied.
The house where Srinivasa Ramanujan lived
Do NOT get carried away by the looks of this house. This is where the mathematician inside Ramanujan grew up and
blossomed. This old, tiny, unimpressive, tiled house is an inspiring monument which will remind visitors about the genius called
The house is
flanked by two unlikely neighbours (who were most certainly not there when Ramaujan was around) :
The saving grace comes from the efforts of a
nearby University which has acquired the house,
and made it into a memorial monument for the greatest modern
mathematician born in India. But for this initiative, Ramanujan's house
would have been long since devoured by these business-minded commercant neighbours.
- A meat-vending, "non-vegetarian" restaurant (Ramanujan was a strict vegetarian coming from an orthodox Hindu,
Surprisingly, this incongruous neighbour is also located at a stone's throw from a very important
and sacred Hindu temple. (But, why should anyone care for such trivia ?).
- A huge store/shop selling construction materials.
The place is very cleanly maintained, and is open the
whole day (usual working hours), seven days a week, with free-of-cost entry, and must be visited by all admirers of mathematics.
The school where Srinivasa Ramanujan studied
This 152 year old school
(known earlier as Town High School), boasts of having initiated Ramanujan
into mathematics. It has now on proud display, a bust of its most famous student. Many people visit this
school today, to draw inspiration from the
"man who knew infinity".
This school is a landmark in itself, and is located in Kumbakonam downtown. Ramanujan's home
(mentioned above) is just about a kilometre away (approximately a 15 minute walk).
More about Ramanujan :
- Try this quiz first:
How much do you know about Ramanujan ?
- This page, belonging to a very good site
for maths biographies, contains many useful links. I found (and have reported) a minor error in this page, concerning
Ramanujan's place of death.
- Here is a must-see website devoted to Ramanujan
- Essentials of Ramanujan's mathematics
- Why is Ramanujan still jobless ?
- Ramanujan chronology
- The story of Janaki ammal -- Ramanujan's wife
- Ramanujan and the taxi cab
- Ramanujan and the taxi cab... again
* Why is 1729 so special ?
1729 and Ramanujan
* Why is 251 called the taxi cab's little brother ?
- 163 and Ramanujan
- What is so special about this magic square
- There is no magic !
The mystery of the illness which killed him.
- The man who discovered the man who knew infinity
- More about the man who
discovered the man who knew infinity
When the Professor told a lie
- Ramanujan deserves more than
- The SASTRA Ramanujan Prize , our way of paying
tribute to the genius from Kumbakonam.
- ICTP, Trieste, Italy awards the The Ramanujan
Prize for young mathematicians from developing countries.
- It took almost a century, and a Professor from Tokyo,
the house where Ramanujan was born !
- Did the stars foretell anything ?
- Ramanujan in the news
- Take a look at some maths-related books
- We are still not taking Ramanujan seriously:
Example #1 |
I have informed both the concerned
parties, to correct their errors.
- When a mother
almost killed her own son
- How his last contribution to maths :
"mock theta functions" was
lost and found later by accident.
- Have you heard about the The blackened coarse elbow of Ramanujan ?
- An extra-ordinary documentary :
The Mathematician & His Legacy
- The Sequel (coming in April 2020) : After
Ramanujan left us
Watch this space !
This page keeps growing !
Only a genius can think of something like this:
Thank GOD ! We did'nt have to learn this in school.
The next time you visit Kumbakonam, make sure you drop in at the above two places.
I feel sad to report these discoveries:
Where ignorance is bliss
Where ignorance is bliss ... a
The mystery of the missing museum
Take a look at :
Casting pearls before ...
Like this page ? Send me a mail !