To top page of drpartha.org.in
NO GIMMICKS WEB PAGE
Web design and web gardening services from Algologic
The web .....
"a universal, linked information system, in which generality
and portability are more important than fancy graphics and complex
.... Tim Berners Lee, CERN, 1989
The OXFORD ENGLISH DICTIONARY defines a gimmick as a trick or device, esp. to attract attention,
publicity or trade. Some web designers have made gimmicks
their only means of survival.
Designing a web site is not just an act of adding some cleverly
drafted text, smeared with splashy colours and meaningless tinsel. The
web can surely do without such gimmicks infested pages.
The NO GIMMICKS WEB PAGE
campaign aims to clean up the web by promoting web pages which are
serious about providing NO NONSENSE web pages, which are free of
irritating distractions and misleading information.
Remember, you can still create web pages which are aesthetic and
pleasing to the eye, without using any frivolous gimmicks.
Be fair and honest with your web visitors. Avoid using gimmicks on
the web. Join the NO GIMMICKS WEB PAGE campaign, today.
You have a
NO GIMMICKS WEB PAGE,
if your web page:
- does not use FRAMES
- does not use irrelevant and irritatingly flashy graphics
- does not use gaudy and inappropriate colour combinations
- does not use a "wallpaper"
- does not use cleverly worded phraseology or ambiguous terminology
- does not employ half-truths (or half-lies)
- does not use non-standard (i.e. browser-specific) HTML extensions
- does not execute embedded programs and scripts without adequate
- does not start background music or other noises unless absolutely
- does not display unsolicited animation or scrolling / flashing messages
- does not "push" unsolicited pop-up screens
Be nice to your visitors
The NO GIMMICKS WEB PAGE is also a place where some
fundamental principles of decency in web design are followed:
- Use relative addressing for links to web pages within the same
site. Use relative addressing for all embedded objects (e.g. pictures,
scripts, style sheets etc.). This way, your visitors may be able to
view the pages off-line.
- Unless absolutely necessary or inevitable, define all the styles
within the web page itself (do not link to an external style sheet).
This way, your visitors will see the page just like you intend them to
be seen, without having to download the corresponding style
- Display the complete URL of the web page, within the web page
itself, and provide a hot link to the URL (e.g. see ADMINISTRIVIA box
at the end of this page). This way, your visitors will be able to
start from an offline copy, reach the latest on-line version, and then
navigate and reach all pages to which you have linked.
- Give the "date of last update" of the page. This way, your
visitors will be able to judge the vintage of the off-line copy he/
she is seeing (e.g. see ADMINISTRIVIA box at the end of this page).
- Give a contact address for your visitor to get in touch with you
(e.g. see ADMINISTRIVIA box at the end of this page). This way, your
visitors will be able to thank you and bless you for giving them the
pleasant experience of visiting your web pages !
If you have a NO GIMMICKS WEB PAGE:
you can proudly display the NO GIMMICKS logo shown below, by adding
the following HTML code on your web page:
<IMG SRC="./gimmicks.png" alt="no-gimmicks">
You will get something like this, wherever you add the above code:
After you add the above code to your web page,
email to Algologic, giving the complete URL of the page where you
have added the above code. There is no "policing" for the
usage of this logo. So, be honest to yourself.
Some NO GIMMICKS web pages
- All web-pages of
Algologic and Dr.
- What is GNU/Linux ?
Send us your suggestions
If you have come across any other gimmick and you wish to add that
to the above list, let us know. Send in your comments and suggestions.
Together, let us make the web a paradise.
!! ADMINISTRIVIA !!
This file : gimmicks.htm , is located at :
This file was last modified on:
Comments/suggestions to :
Page developed by:
Do not miss : Our Warning and
Go to TOP